VITA Volunteer Positions
You can change your community, one person at a time.
What is VITA?
VITA offers FREE tax preparation and e-filing for low- to moderate-income taxpayers.
Why become a VITA Volunteer?
- It helps families in your community. For many families, a tax refund is one of the single largest payments they will receive all year. Tax time is particularly important for low-income families, as it presents an opportunity to increase family income by accessing public benefits like the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) as well as financial education and asset building tools.
- Tax preparation is a unique volunteer opportunity and a great way to learn a new skill.
- No accounting experience is required. The tax software guides you every the step of the way and the IRS provides free training.
- Volunteers are protected under the Volunteer Protection Act, which means no liability for volunteers.
- The required time commitment is minimal (20 hours total from mid-January to mid-April).
If you’re interested in finding out more about becoming a VITA volunteer, please read the job descriptions below and find the position that sounds right for you.
VITA VOLUNTEER ROLES & JOB DESCRIPTIONS
All volunteers have the following responsibilities:
- Pass IRS Ethics Certification
- Be cordial and treat taxpayers with respect at all times
- Maintain taxpayer confidentiality
- Accept NO form of payment, monetary or otherwise, for services provided
- Commit a minimum of 20 hours of service, excluding training time, during the program season (October thru mid-April)
- Greet taxpayers and manage sign-in area
- Screen taxpayers for income guidelines and documentation
- Assist in ensuring clients have all relevant information for completing the requested tax return
- Assist in general scheduling changes for clients and/or volunteers through online scheduling system
- Must be certified to a minimum Advanced level
- Review completed return for accuracy
- Provide a copy of completed return to the taxpayer
- Provide feedback and educate Tax Preparers regarding errors made as well as tax law changes and advanced tax situations
- Provide feedback and educate taxpayers on their return (i.e. opportunities, W4 updates, and tax situation changes)
This position has openings for Basic, Advanced & Specialty Certification levels.
- Attend IRS Basic and Advanced Certification training or self-study training module
- Pass certification test on required tax law knowledge for each level
- Conduct intake interviews to clarify financial situation and ensure that all allowable credits are claimed
- Process returns based on information provided by taxpayer and answer tax-related questions to the level of personal certification only
- Provide high-quality tax return preparation to all taxpayers
- Contact the Site Coordinator or IRS support line for assistance when necessary
- Refer taxpayers with complex returns to the IRS assistance office
- Forward all returns to Quality Reviewer
- Attend IRS Basic and Advanced certification training
- Oversee all on-site volunteers and assist with needs
- Manage volunteer schedule and ensure volunteer coverage conforms to appointment schedule
- Coordinate with Program Director
- Ensure VITA and host site equipment and materials are being used appropriately at all times
- Ensure all required postings and materials are displayed and/or available on-site (i.e. Civil Rights, Site ID numbers and IRS communications)
- Maintain IRS quality site requirements for VITA program
My Free Taxes Coach
- Assist clients in using My Free Taxes website (training provided)
- Must be certified to Advanced level
- Assist taxpayer in acquiring an email address if needed
- Answer tax related questions as clients complete their own return
- Must be able to work independently
- Interpret verbally for non-English speaking taxpayers (primarily need Spanish-speaking)
- Interpret for hearing-impaired taxpayers
Marketing & Promotion Support
- Deliver promotional fliers and other communications to businesses, schools, etc.
- Deliver and retrieve yard signs
- Speak on behalf of the VITA Program at various groups